Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Grandma Pryce's Spaghetti Sauce


This is Jason's absolute favorite thing to eat. Not spaghetti itself but his grandma's sauce. I have tried to imitate it over the years but it never tastes the same so now that I have her exact recipe it has to taste the same, right?


Spaghetti Sauce (use a big pot - makes approx. 8-10 quarts - freeze leftovers in meal portions) or you can half the recipe if you don't want to make so much.

3-4 pounds lean ground beef
1 large onion (diced)
1 large can (6#10oz) S&W tomato sauce (I get at Costco)
3-4 cans (15 oz ea.) S&W tomato sauce (to fill pot)
1-2 Tbl. garlic (I use the jar minced)
1 cup burgundy wine
2 Tbl. Italian seasoning
Salt & Pepper to taste

Brown ground beef in large pot, drain grease from meat when done, return to pot, add onions, garlic, and saute for a few minutes, then add tomato sauce (rinse cans with approximately 2 cups water total) and spices. Simmer 5 or 6 hours. Can freeze remainder of sauce. I use glass quart jars. Cool jars in refrigerator overnight before freezing. Don't tighten lids when freezing because the liquid expands and could crack jars. Tighten lids after frozen.


One thing I have learned from cooking which may be common sense for other but not me, is that you have to use the same brands in order to get the right outcome. His grandma is specific about the brands she cooks with so that has probably been my problem before.

One more thing I cut this recipe in half (because I didn't have a big enough pot) It fed my family of 6 and I was able to freeze three jars.

No comments:

Post a Comment