Sunday, January 10, 2010

Cafe Rio




What do we miss most from Utah? Simple answer Cafe Rio. It was a staple restaurant for us at least once a week. Well luckily there is one in Vegas and we ate there twice this weekend. Yum! Which made me want to put their sweet pork recipe on my blog as my first recipe. There are a few different versions but this is my families favorite. It tastes almost identical and is super easy. Perfect for a Sunday afternoon meal.

Recipe courtesy of recipezaar.com

Cafe Rio Pork
serves 8-10

Ingredients:
3-4 lbs pork roast or pork loin
1/4 teaspoon oregano
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 onion
2 garlic cloves
water, to cover

Sauce:
1 (14 ounce) can enchilada sauce
3/4 cup Coca-Cola or Dr. Pepper cola
1 cup brown sugar

Directions
1. Cut pork in large chunks. Put in large crock pot and add water just to cover. Add seasonings. Cut onion in 4 large pieces, crush garlic and add to water. Cook pork on low all day or on high for 3 to 4 hours, or until tender and pork pulls apart easily. Drain water and remove onions and garlic. Pull pork and return to crock pot.

2. In a separate container mix enchilada sauce, soda and sugar. Add to pork in the crock pot. Cook 1 hour longer. (Can cook less if you don't have time.).



Cafe Rio Tomatillo Salad Dressing
4 1/2 cups

Ingredients:
2 cups mayonnaise
2 cups sour cream
10 sprigs cilantro
3 tomatillos, chopped
2 green onions (I used a little red onion)
2 garlic cloves
1 jalapeno pepper (seeds and all)
1 lime, juice of
1-2 teaspoon salt

Directions:
1.Place all ingredients in blender and blend until smooth.
2.Dressing lasts 2 weeks in frig.



3 comments:

  1. A friend of mine made this for me and it is sooooo good!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah it is our favorite. There are never any leftovers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I LOVE Cafe Rio too. I ate there A LOT when I lived in UT too. I'm going to need to try this.

    ReplyDelete